To succeed in your online education, you will need hardware, software and confidence using digital tools on a regular basis. Read more about the technology you need and the services available to you for assistance.
To pursue online coursework, your computer should have a reliable high-speed internet connection and meet the following specifications:
- Speakers and/or headphones to listen to course lectures and content
- A microphone to speak with your teacher and classmates (if not built-in to your machine)
- A webcam for video conferences (if not built-in to your machine)
- Access to a printer, in case you would like to have hard copies of course materials
- Storage space for downloading materials and saving assignments
Software and Programs
- Virus protection software
- Word processing programs such as the Microsoft suite, Open Office or Google Docs
- Multimedia programs such as Java, Adobe Acrobat, Quicktime or VLC to open and view course materials
- An active EOU email account
Check Your Computer Specifications
- Right-click on the My Computer icon on your desktop.
- Select Properties.
- Click on the Apple menu.
- Select About this Mac.
Access Online Courses Through Canvas
Canvas is a course management tool. Using the Canvas platform, your professors will create your online course with a series of modules containing materials such as the syllabus, course schedule, notes and assignments.
You will submit your work and view your grades in Canvas, as well as communicate with your professors and classmates.
Canvas is optimized for mobile use, meaning that you can view course materials and submit your work from your mobile device. Download the free Canvas app.
Contact the EOU IT Help Desk at email@example.com.
Help Desk hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PST) Monday through Friday