Make Positive Change in the Health of Your Community
100% Online Coursework
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Try our new Admissions Estimator tool to better understand your chances for admission. You probably meet more requirements than you think!Admissions Estimator
Form Your Unique Identity as a Professional
As a student in Eastern Oregon University’s online Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program, you’ll have the opportunity to work with expert faculty and earn the skills necessary to pursue a fulfilling career in counseling. By engaging in cutting-edge courses, you’ll cultivate your own professional identity and meet the full licensure requirements for 41 states.
Prepare for In-Demand Mental Health Counseling Careers
Graduating with an online master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling will prepare you to pursue a wide range of careers, including work in mental health, student services, and career guidance settings. Our program includes three terms of practicum, internship, and advanced internship at a site that provides counseling, which we will help you secure, to ensure you are learning the latest in a real-world application.Explore Careers
The Latest in Mental Health Counseling
20 total courses
90 total credits
EOU’s faculty are here to give you the attention you need in an environment designed for practicality. The online courses are designed to give you the most relevant and up-to-date training to achieve success.
- COUN 500 Introduction to Counseling and Ethical Practice
- COUN 520 Social and Cultural Diversity in Counseling
- COUN 530 Counseling and Helping Relationships: Residency I
- COUN 550 Assessment and Evaluation Techniques in Counseling
Start Your Application Today
No GRE required
No prerequisite coursework
To apply to EOU’s online Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, you’ll need:
|Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university|
|Cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is preferred. May apply with a lower GPA for consideration|
|Official transcripts for all previously attended undergraduate and graduate institutions|
|Two completed essays using program prompts|
|Three letters of recommendation|
Tuition and Aid
Affordable Tuition for a High-Quality Degree
$515 Per Credit
$46,350 Total Tuition
EOU is committed to offering affordable, competitive tuition. Speak to an enrollment counselor to discover the multiple ways to finance your degree.Learn More
What You’ll Learn
During your course of study at EOU, you’ll learn about a wide range of mental health counseling topics such as developmental theory, cultural diversity, diagnostic systems and more. The up-to-date curriculum ensures you’ll be ready to find a career that works for you upon graduation.
- Professional counseling orientation and ethical practice: To train counseling students that can demonstrate and utilize ethical and legal standards across counselor roles, responsibilities, and identity to develop a strong counselor identity
- Social and Cultural Diversity: To train counseling students that can demonstrate and utilize social and cultural contexts within the treatment of individuals, couples, and families through culturally competent counseling practice
- Human growth and Development: To train counseling students that can demonstrate and utilize aspects of human development across the lifespan and within the counseling process
- Career development: To train counseling students that can demonstrate and utilize career development theory while navigating the interrelationships between work and mental well-being
- Counseling and helping relationships: To train counseling students that can demonstrate and utilize the characteristics, behaviors, and counseling skills of counselors to develop therapeutic, helping relationships
- Group counseling and group work: To train counseling students that can demonstrate and utilize the dynamics, strategies, and conditions associated with effective group work
- Assessment and testing: To train counseling students that can demonstrate and utilize assessment data to diagnose and treat mental and emotional disorders
- Research and program evaluation: To train counseling students that can demonstrate and utilize evidence-based research, needs assessment, and program evaluation to inform counseling practice
- Clinical mental health counseling: To train counselors that can demonstrate their professional identity and roles within service delivery and can utilize intake practices, diagnostic criteria, treatment modalities, treatment planning, and client advocacy to assess and develop interventions and measure outcomes
- Professional practice: To train counselors that can demonstrate, utilize, and integrate knowledge and skills through culturally and developmentally relevant strategies for best practice through supervised practicum and internship experiences
What It’s Like to Study Online
Earning your degree online from Eastern Oregon University is a great opportunity because there are no on-campus requirements. You will have access to the same professors, content and opportunities as on-campus students while learning online in a creative digital format. Our professors work on campus and are experts trained to deliver innovative, engaging online education.Explore the Online Experience
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to a few frequently asked questions about this program.
Yes, the program accepts up to nine semester hours or 13.5 quarter credit hours of graduate credit.
No, prior work experience is not required.
Tuition for the clinical mental health counseling master’s program is $46,350. You need to complete 90 credits.
This program meets licensure requirements for education in 41 states to become a registered clinical mental health therapist. The nine states that are not included are:
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina