Express Yourself Through a Variety of Creative Writing Careers
The online MFA in Creative Writing program from Eastern Oregon University prepares you for diverse careers that allow you to transform your creative ideas into works of literature. Through courses guided by field experts, you’ll explore diverse genres of literature while honing your creative skills and developing the expertise to educate others in the field.
- $67,120 median annual salary for authors1
- $63,400 median annual salary for editors2
- Four percent increase in education careers expected through 20293
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for authors in 2019 was $67,120.1 The Bureau also reports a growing demand for high school teachers, with more than 40,000 new positions expected to be created by 2029.3 With an online MFA, you’ll be qualified for both of these careers and more.
Editors review articles, books and websites to ensure they are grammatically correct before they are published. These professionals are an important asset to diverse publishing companies that develop magazines, newspapers, novels and more.2
High School Teacher
High school teachers educate students in specific areas of study to prepare them for college or the workforce after graduation. Their responsibilities include planning lessons, assigning and grading coursework and evaluating the academic progress of each student.3
Additional creative writing careers:
- Postsecondary teacher
Get in Touch
We are here to answer any questions you may have. Contact an enrollment counselor at 855-805-5399 or complete the request for information form and we will be in touch.
Program Outcomes: Expert Skills for Diverse Creative Writing Careers
When you complete this program, you will be able to:
- Submit your work to literary journals to be considered for publishing.
- Critique literary works in diverse genres, including poetry, fiction and nonfiction.
- Join a diverse community of writers who are interested in their work, contribute constructively to the critique of that work and form a support network for future professional development.
- Effectively review written content for grammatical errors.
- Transform your creative ideas into works of literature in diverse genres and forms of media.
Take the next step in advancing your creative writing career with help and support from our faculty of expert instructors.
- Writers and Authors. Apr. 9, 2021. Retrieved May 17, 2021, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/writers-and-authors.htm
- Editors. Apr. 9, 2021. Retrieved May 17, 2021, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/editors.htm
- High School Teachers. Apr. 9, 2021. Retrieved May 17, 2021, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm